Training And Education

Training vs. Education

Education is usually thought of as studies done in schools. This usually is composed more of in-class work and is usually more theoretical and focused on developing a way of thinking.

Training is usually concerned with gaining a skill. Training could be done in classes, workshops, or on the job.

As you engage in occupational and labour market research you’ll come to a better idea of what sort of education or training you will need to complete to work in your chosen occupation.


A university is an institution of higher education and research, which grants degrees in a variety of subjects. A university is an organization that provides undergraduate (bachelor) and postgraduate/professional (masters, Ph.D., certificate) education.

In Waterloo Region we have the University of Waterloo and Wilfrid Laurier University.


In Ontario the term “college” refers to a technical, applied arts or applied science schools. They typically grant certificates and diplomas, though some now grant degrees. A community college is a publicly-funded institution whereas a private career college exists outside of the public education system.

In Waterloo Region Conestoga College is the only community college. There are a number of private career colleges.


A trade covers a wide range of occupations where the majority of the training is conducted on the job. The training program for a trade is called an “apprenticeship”. The majority of the apprenticeship is conducted on the job, while some training is usually conducted in a school/college. For a more extensive explanation of trades including what they are, and how you can access and fund your apprenticeship, please see the section called “Apprenticeships” within the Work Choices section of this website.

Subscribe to Job Postings Feed Subscribe to For Job Searchers Feed Subscribe to The Working Centre Feed Subscribe to Commons Studio Feed