The Working Centre – Supports for Refugees
One number to call for information: (519)743-1151 x 0
Housing and Setting Up a House:
Worth a Second Look Furniture and Housewares
(519) 569-7566 // 97 Victoria Street North, Kitchener
- A wide range of used furniture and houseware items at very low prices; pick-up and delivery services to increase access to used furniture and housewares.
Job Café Moving Service – contact through Worth a Second Look
(519) 569-7566 x 221 // 97 Victoria Street North, Kitchener
- This is an affordable moving service, including the truck, equipment and labour. No credit card or driver’s license is needed to reserve the truck. While helping you to coordinate the details of moving, you will also be providing income for people registered with the Job Cafe project.
(519) 743-1151 x 117 // 58 Queen Street South, Kitchener
Info about housing - http://www.theworkingcentre.org/tenants/185
Housing listings - http://www.theworkingcentre.org/housing-listings/587
- Drop into our Housing desk Monday to Friday between 9am and 4pm if you have any questions about where to search for housing in Kitchener Waterloo. A housing support worker can help explore how to use some of these housing search tools together.
(519) 743-1151 x 225 // 66 Queen Street South, entrance off Charles Street
- Computer Recycling offers computers for people with limited income. Refurbished desktop computers are available with Windows 7 and Microsoft Office from about $60 to $160.
The Green Door
(519) 804-2466 x25 // 37 Market Lane, Kitchener
- We are collecting and selling used clothing with care and enthusiasm. Enjoy our welcoming and attractive shop – includes clothing for women, men, and children, plus accessories, shoes, and more. Clothing items average $3 to $5 or less!
St. John’s Kitchen
(519) 745-8928 // 97 Victoria Street North, Kitchener
- We host many people from all walks of life for a daily lunch time meal. All are welcome. Located close to St. Louis ESL language classes. Come for lunch and/or to volunteer.
Queen Street Commons Café
(519) 749-9177 x1 // 43 Queen Street South, Kitchener
- Affordable, vegetarian home-style meals, snacks, desserts, and fresh-roasted coffee. Prices are set low because we have created a space where people can come together on equal footing. By offering food that is affordable, by not requiring that people make a purchase to be in the space, we have a café where all are welcome, no matter their income.
Employment & Language Supports
Job Search Resource Centre
(519) 743-1151 x 0 to book an appointment // 58 Queen Street South, Kitchener
- We can help you to find work. Understanding job searching in Canada, support with your Job Search, resume preparation, links to credential assessment and moving towards work in your profession, finding survival jobs, understanding and researching Canadian labour market, hiring incentives to support integration into Canadian labour market, planning as a family to strategize work goals, understanding the importance of language skills in the workplace, interview preparation, active job posting site http://www.theworkingcentre.org/jobs , on-line job search tips and strategies, one-on-one problem solving and support.
Speak English Café
(519) 743 1151 x 160 // 43 Queen Street South, Kitchener
- Join us Thursday evenings to practice conversational English language skills in a supportive setting.
Transit Reduced Income Program
(519) 743-1151 x0 // 58 Queen Street South, Kitchener
- Provides reduced fare bus passes for those living below the Low Income Cut Off (http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/75f0002m/2012002/lico-sfr-eng.htm) . Current wait list of over 500 people – feel free to call, see if you qualify, and get your name on the list. Wait could be 6 months or longer. Hosted by Region of Waterloo Grand River Transit and Social Services, plus community partners The Working Centre and Lutherwood Cambridge.
Community Access Bikeshare
(519) 743-1151 x 172 // 58 Queen Street South, Kitchener
- This spring, purchase a Community Access Bikeshare membership in order to access a network of shared bicycles, with ten stations throughout Kitchener-Waterloo. No user fees, annual membership fee only.
(519) 804-2466 // 37 Market Lane, Kitchener
- Inexpensive reconditioned bicycles for children and adults; shop facilities to repair and maintain your own bike.
(519) 743-1151 x 173 // 58 Queen Street South, Kitchener
- Drop-in clinic related to financial support – budgeting, income tax prep, and access to tax credits, connections to banks, problem-solving and decision-making. We are willing to creatively problem solve issues that arise, help you to connect to services and resources in the community, or simply come along to difficult or challenging meetings around your personal finances.
- Looking to build your Canadian work experience, practice your English skills, build relationships with others, and be creatively involved in building community? Feel welcome to volunteer in one of our integrated, supportive, friendly projects.
Purchase a Gift Certificate
- Purchase a gift certificate to support a Refugee family – you can present it to a family you know, or you can ask us to direct your gift to one of the families coming to our community over the next months.
- Gift certificates can be used to buy furniture at Worth a Second Look, clothing at the Green Door, lunch at the Queen Street Commons Café, a computer at Computer Recycling, a bike at Recycle Cycles. This gift certificate provides access to all these creative, affordable projects that make it easier to live on a limited income – and you are supporting the creative Community Enterprise projects at The Working Centre. Your purchase helps this community of supports to be sustainable and respond to moments like this – as we welcome refugees to our community.